Monday, January 19, 2009

Stand up to Media!

You're not pretty enough, You're too shy, he's not cool, she's boring. Simple, small comments such as these put a dent in our self confidence leaving us with a feeling that we are not good enough for society. That sexy model you see on a billboard is airbrushed, no doubt. That person probably looks just like you and I.

We don't accept this fact though. We are taught that this is true beauty. Something that is utterly impossible is true beauty. It's sick. This is the face that people are attracted to. This is the body that we must have. Unhealthy, annorexic, bolemic, over powered with steroids. Why should I risk my life in order for someone to say "You're so hot, I wanna make love to you all night." Would you fuck me if I wasn't hot? Well...huh huh huh, tell me?! Atleast I'd be healthy and the one who would make love to me would do it because they are commited and love me for who I am.

And if the media doesn't call me pretty, I'll look in the mirror and say "I'm gorgeous". If I see a skinny person walking down the street, I'll pat my stomach and say "I like my triple scoop sundae with some whip cream and a cherry ontop". The media? What is the media? You want me to listen to you? I don't even know who you are!

Maybe I am an outsider. So what? I am deviant. Why the heck does it feel so damn good sometimes? People say we are all different and this is a good thing, but are we really? Truthfully, everyone is the same. Only once we accept and understand this fact will we be different, intellectual, individuals with opinions and ideals of our own. Only once we understand that we are the same can we make a change to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment